“Young people are the heart of our communities. More than ever before, they are spurring action, using their platforms and influence to create positive change for themselves, their communities and society at large. They are seeking to shape and influence the world that they will inherit. And, we are all about championing that.”
-Fred Turner, Executive Director, Beyond Sport
We know that sport provides a shared language and a unique opportunity when engaging youth - whether that be around the biggest issues of our time, or ultimately, to grow fan and consumer bases. In order to make effective change we must ensure them not only a consistent place at the table where decisions are made, but also that their voices are part of solutions.
That is why, in honor of the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace, we are thrilled to open applications for our first ever Beyond Sport Youth Advisory Board (BYSYAB)! We are searching for passionate young people - aged 18 to 22 - who are using sport with intention to change lives around the world.
The BYSYAB will be made up of incredible leaders and thinkers - young advocates for change helping to elevate sport’s role in tackling our biggest social issues, for people and planet.
The inaugural board will consist of up to10 youth from all around the world, reflecting a diversity of backgrounds, experiences, issue areas and aspirations. Members will interact directly with Beyond Sport leadership to provide input on existing programs and campaigns, identify areas for growth, change and improvement and help shape how we drive sustainable social change through sport.
WHAT YOU’LL PUT INTO IT:
• Provide advice, support and challenge to Beyond Sport’s work
• Provide insight and intelligence on youth perspectives, interests and needs to ensure our work remains relevant to, and incorporates, the voice of the youth
• Bring new ideas to Beyond Sport’s Board of Directors
• Be a voice for your community - sharing challenges and best practice
• Be a part of the expert group which helps determine the focuses and recipients of our grant funding and capacity building efforts
• Input on our messages and provide content for our communication platforms as applicable
• Help amplify our work via your platforms as applicable
• Be an active Beyond Sport spokesperson
• Contribute to various programmatic elements
WHAT YOU’LL GET OUT OF IT:
• Leadership and personal development training through workshops held throughout the year
• Professional development - we’ll connect you to diverse individuals and organizations that are purposefully using physical activity to do something greater across 150+ countries
• On-going 1on 1 mentorship from Beyond Sport staff
• Online platforms to elevate your profile
• A fellow young leader mentor scheme
• Access to all Beyond Sport events and platforms, with potential for speaker roles as appropriate
1. Applicants must be at least 18 years old and no older than 22 years old
2. Proficiency with English at a conversational level required
3. Flexibility to participate in virtual calls in the evenings and on weekends to accommodate a variety of time zones
4. Members must commit to the Board for at least two years
THE ENTRY PERIOD HAS CLOSED