DAY 1 – September 29
The Beyond Sport Summit 2010 opens at noon at the Palmer House Hilton with a networking lunch as influential guests from all over the world gather in Chicago. Following lunch, over 750 high-profile individuals from business, government, federations, philanthropy and social innovation will engage in an array of panels, presentations, and networking sessions as detailed below.
Noon-1:30 pm: Summit begins: Networking Lunch - Gary Bettman, Commissioner of the NHL welcomes attendees to Chicago, home of the Stanley Cup Champions
1:30 pm: Opening of the Beyond Sport Summit: Welcome – Nick Keller, Founder, Beyond Sport and Patrick Ryan, Chairman and Chief Executive of Ryan Specialty Group and Chairman of World Sport Chicago
Keynote Address – HRH Prince Feisal of Jordan, Founder, Generations for Peace
2:00-3:00 pm: Panel 1 - Looking back and looking forward: Have we stepped up event legacy delivery?
Facilitator: Julie Foudy, former President, Women Sport’s Foundation and two-time World Cup winner
• Rita Benson LeBlanc, Executive Vice President/Owner, Super Bowl Champions, the New Orleans Saints
• Scott Blackmun, CEO, US Olympic Committee
• Tim Leiweke, CEO, AEG Worldwide
• Caryl M. Stern, President and CEO, UNICEF USA
• Jurgen Griesbeck, CEO, streetfootballworld and Member, FIFA Committee for Fairplay and Social Responsibility
- About this Panel: Finally legacy is being taken seriously. London 2012 could arguably be noted as the first Host City to win an Olympic bid due to its legacy scheme. We’ve just had the first-ever major event in Africa, and the next three are well-placed for significant activity. But, are we doing enough? This panel will discuss this issue and ask what, in terms of development on the economic and social levels, came out of the World Cup in South Africa? What did they do right? How can we do more?
3:00–3:30 pm: An Conversation With…Senator Bill Bradley, NBA Hall of Fame inductee and former US Presidential Candidate, and Dikembe Mutombo, NBA All-Star and philanthropist will be interviewed by Terry McDonell, Editor, Sports Illustrated Group
3:30- 3:40 pm: Humanitarian in Sport Award, Supported by United Airlines
3:40-4:20 pm: Networking Break
4:20-5:10 pm: Panel 2 - Sporting celebrities and doing good: What’s possible and what’s not?
Supported by Athletes for Hope
Facilitator: Ivan Blumberg, CEO, Athletes for Hope
• Kathy Behrens, Senior Vice President, NBA
• Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Multi-Olympic Gold Medallist and legendary athlete
• Troy Vincent, Vice President, Player Development, NFL
• Lonnie Ali, Co-founder, Muhammad Ali Center
- About this Panel: There has been a rise in negative press of celebrity athletes, but also rise in significance and sophistication of good works. This panel will provide a platform for those athletes truly making a difference to share their knowledge, experience, and make an argument for why it’s important to be socially responsible and a positive role model.
5.10–5.30 pm: Beyond Sport Awards 2010 Winners Part I
6:30-8:30 pm: Welcome Reception, hosted by Mayor of Chicago Richard Daley, and Announcement of the winner of the United Airlines Chicago Impact Award
Further speakers will be announced in the coming weeks.
*Subject to change if deemed necessary by the organisers.