- Award Entered:
Sport For Social Inclusion Award
- Parent Organisation:
- Project Host Nation:
- Overview of Project:
• StreetGames empowers disadvantaged communities by giving local providers the tools and resources to establish ‘doorstep sport’ opportunities for young people that wouldn’t normally have access to sport.
• There are 76 StreetGames projects operating in England & Wales.
• Doorstep sport sessions are delivered at a time, place and in a style which meets the needs of each individual community, from five-a-side football tournaments and basketball, to mutli-sport sessions, StreetCheer and Ultimate Frisbee.
• StreetGames operates a national volunteering scheme which helps young people aged between 16 and 25 develop both sports coaching and community leadership skills by working at their local project. Over two thirds of volunteers gain additional qualifications. This can provide a route to paid employment.
• StreetGames identifies potential leaders from the local community and provides
leadership and sports training opportunities.
• Every summer, regional sports festivals are held which give young people from neighbourhood projects the chance to represent their community, demonstrate their skills and interact with other young people from similar backgrounds.
• StreetGames projects provide young people with a route to mainstream sport by linking with clubs and organisations.
• StreetGames helps change communities and lives through sport.
Go back to the previous page