When the coronavirus epidemic changed our world this year, thousands of sport for development organisations were forced to halt operations, unable to provide the therapeutic, educational and/or social service programming or support that many communities have come to rely on.
To galvanise financial and in-kind strategic resources for these vitally important community initiatives, we are proud to be among a coalition of organizations supporting the Sport for Good Response Fund. Partners include: the Beyond Sport Foundation, Chivas, Comic Relief UK, Comic Relief US, Hong Kong Rugby Union Community Foundation, the LA84 Foundation, Laureus Sport for Good and the Z Zurich Foundation.
The fund was designed to assist sport and social impact organizations to overcome challenges faced as a result of COVID-19 and to come out stronger on the other side. Challenges include issues such as staff shortages, reduced income, difficulty delivering the program, lack of digital capability or a strategy that is no longer fit for purpose. As of July 2020, 38 organisations that use sport as a tool to address the most complex social issues around the world have received - or were in the process of receiving – funding to support programs across 18 countries, with even more set to receive capacity-building support.
On 5 August, Beyond Sport’s consultancy arm, thinkBeyond, held a roundtable workshop for recipients to help them adapt or create new initiatives and to strengthen their businesses resilience to the shifting environment, setting them up for long-term success in the new social context. Subject matter experts from the global sport for social change network advised on solutions to address areas such as e-learning and digital tools, redesigning and scaling programming, diversifying revenue streams, monitoring and evaluation and preparing for the return to play. Following the workshop, all applicants have the opportunity to take part in a fundraising-focused session.
Additionally, a selection of Fund recipients will receive long-term strategic support from thinkBeyond’s expert team to help them to shape their future vision and pivot their approaches to face the new normal of sport and development. An open-source report of outcomes and recommendations from the program will be made available by the end of year to further strengthen our sector going forward.
THE FUND IS CURRENTLY CLOSED FOR APPLICATIONS.
STAY TUNED FOR UPDATES.
- No limit on geography, sport, or issue-area being addressed through sport
- The fund is for organizations that have been delivering sport to create social impact for a prolonged period
- The fund is for groups facing short or long-term challenges as a direct result of the impact of Coronavirus
ORGANIZATIONS WILL BE SUPPORTED IN THREE KEY AREAS:
- FUNDING UP TO € 10,000
- Grants will go towards both covering the immediate needs of the organization and ensuring future resilience. Laureus will manage direct grant funding through its best-in-class grant management infrastructure.
- NETWORK DESIGNED-SOLUTIONS
- Subject-matter experts will help organizations address current challenges through workshops and designed thinking sessions facilitated by Beyond Sport.
- STRATEGIC SUPPORT: Developing a fresh approach to face the new normal
- Beyond Sport will use its proven four-phase strategic processes to develop with the organizations a new organizational strategy in terms of adapting, growing, shifting its focus over the next 18 months.