WORKING ON THE GROUND IN MEXICO?
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BEYOND SPORT MEXICO COMMUNITIES AWARD HERE.
THE WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN MEXICO CITY ON NOVEMBER 15.
The Beyond Sport Global Awards 2017 took place on July 26 at the One World Observatory in New York. Grassroots organizations were joined by brands, sports teams, leagues and athletes to celebrate the courageous, creative and impactful work being done around the world using sport to promote and achieve the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s).
From 250 entries spanning 70 countries, 35 organizations made the shortlist for the ninth annual Beyond Sport Awards with the 13 outstanding winners all epitomizing how sport can help tackle some of the most pressing social issues in the world today. As the global force for sustainable social change through sport, Beyond Sport overhauled the Awards this year to align with the UN SDG’s. The move reflects Beyond Sport’s belief that that using sport is an effective and game-changing approach to addressing extreme poverty, inequality and climate change.
Sport for Health and Well-being Award
- Imagine Your Goals - Everton in the Community UK
Sport for Quality Education and Employment Award
- Alive and Kicking Kenya, Ghana, Zambia
Sport for Equality Award
- Colorful Girls Volleyball Circles - Girl Determined Myanmar
Sport for Peace and Social Justice Award
- Mi Vida es un Diamante (My Life is a Diamond) - Grupo Internacional de Paz Colombia and Mexico
Best Partnership or Collaboration
- National Alliance of Sport for the Desistance of Crime (NASDC) - 2nd Chance Group Global/UK
Sport for Innovation and Tech Award
- Station Soccer - Soccer in the Streets USA
Sport for Sustainable Cities & Communities Award
- Regent Park Athletic Grounds - MLSE Foundation Canada
Best Corporate Campaign or Initiative in Sport for Good
- Unilever - Connected by the City Brazil
Global Impact of the Year
- Women Win - Advancing the Playing Field for Gender Equity Global
Sport for Climate Action Award
- Sacramento Kings, Golden 1 Center USA
UNICEF Safeguarding Children in Sport Award
- ChildFund Pass It Back - ChildFund Australia Laos, Philippines and Vietnam
Courageous Use of Sport Award, presented by WWE
- Hajar Abulfazl - Afghanistan women's Football National Player; Youth Delegate, United Nations; Athlete Ambassador, Shirzanan
Leadership in Sport Award
- Bilqis Abdul-Qaadir - Former College Basketball player; Instructor; Activist & Athlete Ambassador, Shirzanan
Clik here to see the Winners Map in full size.
Thanks to the support of Comic Relief and Swedish Postcode Lottery, winners of the Community Awards will receive over $130,000 of funding from the Beyond Sport Foundation. All shortlisted organizations will also receive business support including fundraising from GivenGain and monitoring and evaluation intelligence from Upshot. Since 2009, Beyond Sport has awarded over $6 million worth of business support and funding that has allowed over 175 winning and shortlisted projects grow and become sustainable in their field.